Sociodemographic and Psychological Predictors of Intention to Receive a COVID-19 Vaccine in Elderly Peruvians
Tomás, José M.
Vilca, Lindsey W.
MetadataShow full item record
ABSTRACT The implementation of a vaccine against COVID-19 is one of the most important health strategies to mitigate the spread of the disease. The objective of this study was to estimate the prevalence of the intention to be vaccinated against COVID-19 and its predictors in older Peruvian adults. This is a cross-sectional study, where information was collected through an online survey regarding vaccination intention of the participants, as well as sociodemographic and psychological variables. A multiple regression analysis was applied to identify predictors of intention to be vaccinated against COVID-19. We evaluated 245 participants, who had a mean age of 72.74 years old (SD = 6.66). 65.5% of these older adults expressed a high likelihood of accepting vaccination, while 20.9% expressed a low likelihood of accepting vaccination, and 13.6% were hesitant. Eleven predictors were identified that explained 66.69% of the intention to vaccinate against COVID-19. This identified place of residence, perceived likelihood of contracting COVID-19, severity of previous infection with COVID-19, fear of the disease, previous refusal of a vaccine, concerns about vaccine sales and speculation, and trust toward vaccines against COVID-19, as the main predictors. Our results show that confidence in vaccines and previous vaccine refusal are relevant predictors of intention to vaccinate against COVID-19 in older adults; these findings may be useful to guide the development of campaigns for the immunization of this vulnerable group in the current pandemic.Mostrar más
Caycho, T., ...[et al.]. (2021). Sociodemographic and Psychological Predictors of Intention to Receive a COVID-19 Vaccine in Elderly Peruvians. Trends in Psychology. https://doi.org/10.1007/s43076-021-00099-7
The following license files are associated with this item:
Showing items related by title, author, creator and subject.
Concern because of COVID-19, social support at work, and anxiety as predictors of depression in peruvian nurses [Preocupación por el contagio de la COVID-19, apoyo social en el trabajo y ansiedad como predictores de la depresión en enfermeras peruanas] Carranza Esteban, Renzo Felipe; Mamani-Benito, Oscar; Quinteros-Zúñiga, Dámaris; Caycho-Rodríguez, Tomás; Blanco Shocosh, Darwin (Universidad del Norte, 2022-01-19)Acceso abiertoObjetivo: Determinar si la preocupación por la COVID-19, el apoyo social y la ansiedad son predictores de la depresión en enfermeras peruanas durante la emergencia sanitaria. Material y métodos: Estudio predictivo de corte ...
Mobile application for registration and diagnosis of respiratory diseases: a review of the scientific literature between 2010 and 2020 Flores Rodriguez, Jazmin Rosa Maria; Cabanillas-Carbonell, Michael (IEEE, 2021-01-01)Acceso abiertoABSTRACT In early 2020, an unknown aetiological pneumonia named by the World Health Organization (WHO) as COVID-19, is causing the death of millions of people around the world. At present, there is no treatment or vaccine ...
Sociodemographic and health predictors of concern about COVID-19 infection in Cuban patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus Caycho Rodríguez, Tomás; Valencia, Pablo D.; Vilca, Lindsey W.; Corrales Reyes, Ibraín Enrique; Hernández García, Frank; Pupo Pérez, Antonio; González Quintana, Patricia; Pérez García, Enrique Rolando; Lazo Herrera, Luis Alberto; White, Michael (Modestum, 2022-01-27)Acceso abiertoIntroduction: Concern about becoming infected is a particularly relevant psychological aspect in the context of a pandemic, as it is associated with social reactions and behavioral changes. Objectives: The present study ...